NGV International is Australia’s oldest and pre-eminent public art museum. The National Gallery of Victoria first opened in May 1861 and was housed in the Library on Swanston Street (now State Library).
In 1968 the NGV moved to its current site on St Kilda Road and after a four year closure and major redevelopment in 1999, reopened to the public in December 2003.
Many of the NGV’s finest works were acquired as part of an extraordinary legacy left in 1904 by Melbourne businessman, Alfred Felton, enabling the creation of one of the greatest public collections.
NGV International has over 60, 000 art works in its Collection. The Collection represents most of the world's important art movements and civilisations, across many centuries and cultures. It encompasses treasures from Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and the pre-Columbian period, through worlds of Asian art and Oceanic to the medieval and Byzantine period, the Renaissance and Baroque, 17th and 18th Century European paintings, 19th and 20th Century, to International Contemporary. Highlights of the International Collection include works by El Greco, Rubens, Poussin, Rembrandt, Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Matisse, Picasso, Warhol, Hockney, Starck and Sherman. You will also find fashion and textiles, photography, furniture and sculpture, international prints and drawings, and an array of European and Asian decorative arts.